Yak is a type of cattle found in the Himalayan Mountains. They are raised all natural and fed grass. Since they are all natural there are no hormones or antibiotics consumed by these cattle. An animal feed all natural is healthier for you, and you, the consumer don’t have to worry about consuming products that were feed growth hormones. People worry about animals that consume hormones and antibiotics because they say it leads to defects.
Yak is a sweet juicy red meat which has similar flavor to buffalo, and elk. This meat DOES NOT contain a gamey taste. It is an extremely healthy red meat. It is 95-97% lean and low in fat, calories, and cholesterol. Regular beef contains 300 calories, 89.31 mg of cholesterol, and 19.42 grams of fat per 4 oz of meat. Chicken contains 220 calories, 93.84 mg cholesterol, and 8.69 grams of fat per 4 ounces of meat. The Yak contains only 154 calories, 49 mg of cholesterol, and 6.1 g of fat per 4 ounces of meat. Besides being lean it is never greasy. It also contains low amounts of palmitic acid which contains bad cholesterol.
To cook the yak, use medium heat and cook until rare- medium rare to retain the flavor of the beef. The yak comes as steaks or ground beef. Cooking the yak can be achieved on the stove top, or on the grill. The dish can be prepared in multiple ways. No matter how you prepare your yak the taste will be delicious and you will be wanting more and more.
Salt and pepper
Garlic salt or garlic powder
1. Pre heat your grill to 400 degrees
2. Take half an onion and rub it over the grates to add a slight onion flavor
3. Put the onion on the grill and roast it
4. While the grill is preheating take your salt, pepper and garlic salt and rub it on the yak
5. Rub the seasonings into the meat so the meat absorbs the flavor
6. DO NOT OVER DO and OVERSEASON THE MEAT
7. Once the steak is seasoned place on the grill and sear it allow the grill to cook one side for 1 minute then flip it and allow the other side to cook for one minute
8. After both sides have been slightly cooked cut the temperature on the grill to 250-300 extremely low heat
9. Place the meat to the side of the flames to slow cook it
10. Yak takes a short period of time to cook so watch your meat and don’t leave the grill
11. Cook the steak to its about medium rare for the best flavor
12. Take off the grill and set aside for 5-10 minutes allowing all the flavor to soak into the meat
13. Serve to your guests and enjoy your lean yak steak YUM!
*Do not overcook yak it will take away from the flavor. Cook yak to a medium rare – rare range for the ultimate juice tasting yak.